Los Angeles Sex Crime Attorney
Criminal Lawyer for State or Federal Sexual Related Offenses
California takes sex crimes very seriously and the courts will severely punish those convicted of one. Fines, jail time or a record as a sex offender are all possible consequences of a conviction. Mandatory registration in a sex offender registry is also a serious result of a conviction. This means your personal information would be made available for public view, such as the
California Megan's Law website. It also means that your personal and professional reputation can be ruined with just one criminal sex crime conviction. If you are facing any type of sex crime charge, contact one of our experienced Los Angeles criminal defense attorneys immediately to ensure that your interests are protected.
Avoiding the Filing of Formal Sex Crime Charges
By contacting our skilled sex crime defense lawyers early in your case, during an investigation before formal sex crime charges have been filed, you are taking a critical step that can have a huge impact on the final outcome in court and your chances of avoiding harsh legal criminal penalties and a ruined reputation. When you retain our law firm to handle your case in the early stages, we can immediately begin work during the investigation stage. During this phase, an experienced defense lawyer who has the proper resources and knowledge of California sex crime laws may be able to limit your criminal investigation to avoid the formal filing of charges. By selecting a highly experienced criminal defense attorney at our law firm, you will be confident that you will receive the most effective legal team available. We have successfully defended countless clients who were facing allegations of a sexual related crime and we are ready to aggressively defend you.
Have you Been Arrested for Sexual Offense?
The serious nature of a sex crime charge makes it one of the most difficult type cases to defend. However, with a experienced and dedicated criminal defense attorney, you will have a much better chance to avoid a conviction. It takes a legal team with extensive knowledge of sex crime laws and resources to thoroughly examine the evidence against you to build an effective defense strategy that has the best chance of success. Your case has to be reviewed from every angle to seek any possible errors. This includes the collection of evidence, witness statements and credibility, and if your legal rights were violated. All these issues can be critical to the outcome of your case.
At Cron, Israels & Stark, we defend people throughout the greater Los Angeles area against a wide variety of sex crimes charges. We understand the devastating impact being charged or convicted of these types of crimes can have on your personal and professional life. We will fiercely fight to protect your rights and work to minimize any charges brought against you.
Committed to Reaching a Favorable Outcome
Our attorneys have decades of experience in providing criminal defense - we know the law and we know your rights. Moreover, we fully understand how prosecutors construct their cases and we can use that knowledge to create a well-reasoned and persuasive defense in your case.
You can count on us to use every legal resource at our disposal to reach a positive outcome in your case. We treat our clients with respect and keep a singular focus on resolving every case to our clients' benefit.
Our criminal attorneys defend clients in all types of sex crime cases including:
- Sex Offender Registration - Under California Penal Code Section 290, the "Sex Offender Registration Act," individuals will be required to register with their local police department. This includes convictions for sexual related offenses, such as sexual battery, rape, sexual crimes against children, child pornography, statutory rape, child molestation, lewd conduct, and more.
- Child Molestation - This sexual related offense involves committing lewd or lascivious acts against a minor under the age of 14. This is a felony offense and punishable by up to 8 years in prison or more, depending on the specific details of the case.
- Domestic Violence - Sexual battery in domestic violence cases in California is covered in Section 243 of the Penal Code. It involves touching of an intimate part on another person against their will with the purpose to gain sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse.
- Restraining Orders - A restraining order can be imposed by the court at the request of an alleged victim to protect them and prevent the defendant from committing additional crimes or harm against the victim. When a restraining order is ordered in sexual abuse cases, the defendant will usually be required to leave their home and will be restricted from seeing their children. Even if the victim withdraws their complaint later, a restraining order could still be issued by the police which would force the defendant to leave the premises.
- Child Pornography - Any type of possession, selling, distribution or production of any form of pornographic material that depicts minors under 18-years-old is illegal and can be considered a criminal act of child pornography. Depending on specific nature of this sexual related offense, a defendant can be facing serious felony criminal charges or even a federal offense. If convicted, the defendant may even be required to register as a sex offender for life.
- Sexual Battery and Rape - California Penal Code Section 261 defines the criminal act of rape as sexual intercourse with another person who is not the spouse of the defendant. This statute contains several condition for rape. Usually, rape charges can be filed when the victim is forced to submit to sexual intercourse through the use of force or physical violence. A defendant may also be convicted of rape if they intentionally used alcohol or drugs to make it impossible the victim to resist them. Likewise, if you engaged in sexual intercourse with the victim while they were unconscious, you may also be facing rape charges.
- Prostitution & Solicitation - Under California law, prostitution is usually defined as any sexual act that is offered, accepted or performed in exchange for money. The prostitute and the defendant (aka "john") can both face criminal charges for this sexual related offense. Solicitation of prostitution charges are closely related, but this type of offense is filed against the person who is offering to exchange money for any type of sexual act. An actual exchange of money does not have to occur. The customer can face solicitation charges if they just offered another person money in exchange for sexual activity.
- Lewd & Lascivious Battery - In California, Any sexual act that is defined as lewd and lascivious battery is aggressively prosecuted in all Los Angeles Courts. The defining factor in this type of sexual related offense is the age of the child and the defendant. Generally, Lewd battery charges can be filed if a sexual act was performed under a minor under 18-years-old, any person over 21performs sexual activity with a minor under 16-years-old, or anyone participating in a sexual act with another who is under 14-years-old and is 10 years older than the minor.
- Lewd & Lascivious Molestation - Under California law, lewd molestation occurs if a person commits a sexual act with a minor who is under 14-years-old with the purpose of arousing, gratifying the lust, or a sexual desire of yourself or the minor. The age of the minor and the specific severity of the sexual acts are key in determining sentencing by the court.
- Indecent Exposure - This sexual criminal offenses occurs when a person exposes themselves, or the private parts in a public place where there are people who could be offended, annoyed by their act, or it was performed to excite lewd thoughts or acts.
- Statutory Rape - California law defines this criminal offense as having sex with another who is under the age of consent. In many statutory rape cases, the sex was consensual, but the law considers it rape if the victim was under the age of 18-years-old, thus not able to give legal consent.
Contact our office in Santa Monica, California, today to discuss your legal issue with one of our attorneys. We will be there with you throughout the entire process fighting for your rights and working for a positive result. We are available during regular business hours and by appointment during evenings and weekends.
Related Sex Crime Stories in the News:
Los Angeles Weekly - "Man Gets 17 Years For Child Sex Trafficking in Los Angeles"
A man who met a 17-year-old on MySpace and promised to make her a star by bringing her to Southern California was sentenced to 17-and-a-half years behind bars for pimping her. He pleaded guilty to child sex trafficking.
Orange County Register - "After Protest, Dr. Phil Sex Offenders Move Out"
In Anaheim, California, the last of 11 registered sex offenders whose presence at a group home for sex offenders operated by a church in a quiet Anaheim neighborhood led to community protests, have moved out.
U.S. Dept. of Justice - "California Man Arrested for Attempting to Entice Minor into Sexual Activity"
San Diego FBI Special Agent announced the arrest of a Carlsbad, California man on federal charges of attempting to entice a minor to engage in sexual activity via a MySpace account.
U.S. Dept. of Justice - "California Man Faces Federal Charges for Taking Minor to Las Vegas to Have Sex"
In Riverside, California, a man who allegedly brought a 13-year-old San Bernardino County girl to Las Vegas, Nevada has been arrested and charged with a federal offense of interstate transportation of a minor to engage in illegal sexual activity.