Contact Us Today (424) 372-3112

Dependency Proceedings

Juvenile Dependency Proceedings in California 

What are dependency proceedings? In California when a child is considered at risk, the Department of Children and Family Services files a petition with the juvenile dependency court.

This then allows them to be able to intervene in the child's life, ultimately for their safety and well being.

All jurisdictions in situations like this are made by a judge only. The child in the majority of cases is removed from their home until a full investigation can be done to verify any allegations made regarding any abuse to the child.

If your child has been taken away you must contact a juvenile criminal lawyer to be your advocate during this stressful time.

There are three aspects of dependency proceedings that the parent(s) should know and understand.

  • Firstly, where will your child be placed during this time?
  • Secondly, and extremely important, are the charges against you true?
  • Thirdly, how can you regain the custody of my child?

At the firm of Cron, Israels & Stark our attorneys will assist you in understanding these proceedings and help you make the right decisions concerning the alleged charges against you. Call and make an appointment today to immediately start negotiations on your behalf.

What is a California Child Dependency Case?

In California, the child dependency court exists to protect children from abuse or neglect at home. If you find yourself involved in a child dependency case, you need to understand the court has the authority to remove your child from your care and place them with a family member or foster home.

It's critical to note you can lose your parental rights in a child dependency case.

How exactly how does a child dependency case get started? It begins after you have been accused of abusing or neglecting a child in your care.

In many cases, this happens after a mandated reporter, such as a school teacher, has reason to believe you have abused or neglected your child and has reported this to the Department of Social Services. 

After you were reported, an investigation by Social Services will start.  In most cases, an emergency response worker from Social Services will visit your home in order to determine whether your child is living in an unsafe environment.

If they decide your child is not safe in your home, they can can be removed from you custody and made a dependent of the court.

Clearly, having your child removed from your home can be the most painful experience you will ever face. If you find yourself in this situation, you should call call a experienced California child dependency attorney immediately.

Retain a Juvenile Criminal Lawyer

Our firm is dedicated and geared towards keeping young people out of the court system and working with the family to resolve any problems.

The attorneys at Cron, Israels & Stark will work tirelessly to assist you in regaining custody of your child or children.

We are also committed to providing expert legal defense against the neglect or abuse charges that may be related to your situation. Know that you will be in good hands with the trusted and competent attorneys at our law office.

The child dependency process could potentially result in you losing your child forever. It should be noted that before this can happen, you will go through a long and complex legal process.

The first step is for you to speak with our Los Angeles child dependency attorneys about your situation.

Our skilled juvenile criminal defense lawyers have decades of experience successfully representing our clients in child dependency cases. We might be able to help you have your child returned to your home.

Has your child been apprehended and removed from your home? Call us to provide the proof you need to regain custody.

Contact Us Today

Cron, Israels & Stark is committed to answering your questions about All Misdemeanor and Felony Crime law issues in Santa Monica and Los Angeles, California.

We offer a free consultation and we'll gladly discuss your case with you at your convenience. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.